Dave Query grew up in Boulder and attended the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. After graduating, traveling and tasting his way through Europe, he lived and cooked in kitchens around the US including New Orleans, Chicago, San Francisco, New York City, Miami and northern Michigan, before he returned home to Boulder.
He was co-owner of the original Lick Skillet Cafe in Gold Hill, was the executive chef at Cliff Young's Restaurant in Denver and was the chef-owner of Q's Restaurant in the historic Hotel Boulderado all before he started The Big Red F Restaurant Group in 1994. The Company is presently a collection of six different concepts in seven locations in the Boulder-Denver Area.
My Perfect Day in Boulder
- Wake up early. Have breakfast at Lucile's - the "Eisenhower" scrambled, half grits / half potatoes, biscuit, large (fresh squeezed deliciousness) OJ.
- Fly fish at the 5-mile marker in Boulder Canyon (look for the blue bridge). Catch a dozen trout using just one fly for all dozen fish - a #18 elk hair caddis.
- Have 2 hot dogs at Mustard's Last Stand (ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles, relish, tomatoes, (no kraut or peppers), fries and a root beer. Walk across the street and sit in Central Park to eat. If you have kids, it'll be that much better.
- Walk down the Pearl Street Mall and window shop at all the locally owned businesses.
- Get gelato at Two Spoons.
- Rent a bike from my buddy Doug at University Bicycles and go for one of ten great rides from their front door. Then, take a long nap.
- Stop by Jax Fish House for dinner. Start with a dozen oysters at the bar and tell Jesse, the bar manager, some fishing lies and listen to all of
- Finish at the West End Tavern or The Bitter Bar sipping one of the most hand-crafted cocktails you'll ever encounter.