First Friday Art Walk in Boulder
Every first Friday is your chance to discover Boulder's art scene up close. Come nibble on snacks, stroll a cool neighborhood and discover inspiration in a city that lives, sleeps, eats and breathes creativity.
NoBo Art District First Friday Art Walk
NoBo (which is short for North Boulder) is an arts district along Broadway that is dotted with art studios and galleries. The trick is, you wouldn’t necessarily know it by driving by — you’ll find them up staircases, around corners and with hand-painted signs (if they have a sign at all!). But that’s part of the fun: once a month, you’re in on the secret.
On the first Friday of each month, NoBo Art District welcomes visitors for self-guided tours of artists’ studios and creative businesses. It’s your chance to go inside the creative process and meet painters, photographers, designers, sculptors and other creatives.
There’s live music, food trucks, refreshments, demos and special activities in several of the locations, which range from galleries and studios to churches, coffeehouses and framing shops. There are more than 40 artist studios open — don't miss those tucked away on Artist Alley, west of Broadway and Yarmouth.
How Does It Work?
- Arrive 6-9pm on the first Friday of the month. (Note: Some participants have other opening and closing times, shown on the map.)
- Located along Broadway from Pine Street to Highway 36.
- A map is a must. NoBo’s online map (which can also be printed) of participating businesses is updated monthly.
- Look for pink flags to hop from one art experience to another.
- Look for info tents. These are listed on the map.
- Cost: Free
NoBo Second Saturdays offer a quieter daytime alternative to the signature First Friday evenings. Explore the arts district's local artists, food vendors, musicians and free family-friendly activities on Saturday afternoons from 1-4pm.
Sprinkled around NoBo, you'll see a series of Free Little Libraries, hand-built and decorated. Keep an eye out for murals and public art around every corner, too.
Art Walk Eats and Drinks
Fortify yourself for the art walk with some of NoBo's most delicious bites.
- Craft Bevies Each right next door to the other on Lee Hill Road are Upslope Brewing, BOCO Cider and Bookcliff Vineyards — and they welcome First Friday art walkers. Bookcliff typically has art on display, too, and sometimes the artists will even be on site during First Friday. Start or end your evening with a wine, beer or cider tasting of Boulder-crafted libations.
Tacos, Tacos, Tacos Keep it easy and grab some tacos or a burrito from one of the yummy Mexican restaurants in NoBo: Wapos, Tierra y Fuego, La Choza or Cilantro.
Culinary Crush The chefs at Dagabi Cucina are artists no less accomplished than those you'll find in the surrounding galleries. Start here to prep your palate for an evening of inspiration.
- International Flavors Travel the world with an insanely tasty Tibetan stew or curry at Little Tibet or Italian sauces and pies at Bacco Trattoria or Proto's Pizza.