If moderate temperatures, an average of 300 sunny days per year and beautiful scenery sound like the perfect vacation destination, then you will love Boulder, Colorado, and its pleasant year-round weather.
Boulder is considered the high desert, with an altitude of 5,430 feet above sea level. This elevation ensures a mild climate with very little humidity in the summer and winter months. The warmest month is July with an average daytime temperature of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, but even then, you may need a sweater at night, as temperatures can dip quite low. January is the coldest month in Boulder, with an average daytime high of 45 degrees. Boulder's annual snowfall average is 89 inches. Visitors to the Rocky Mountains do best when they dress in layers, so they can be ready for all temperatures.
|Average Precipitation||0.7 in||0.8 in||2.2 in||2.8 in||2.8 in||2.2 in||1.7 in||1.8 in||1.7 in||1.5 in||1.2 in||0.9 in|
What to Do in Every Season
Thousands of tulips bloom on downtown Pearl Street and hiking trails start to flourish with delicate wildflowers. Temps can quickly climb to the 80s in spring, but snow is not unheard of even in May, so come prepared for anything!
- Go hiking! If you're venturing outdoors, know that Rocky Mountain snowfall runoff can make things a bit muddy, so bring boots and slip-on traction or cleats.
- Hit the Boulder Farmers Market as it starts to gear up with fresh produce and flowers.
- Stroll Pearl Street and look for the tulips in bloom, usually mid-April.
Summer is a glorious season in Boulder, with lush trees and vibrant, blue skies.
- There are more festivals than any other time of year, and patios and parks bustle with sun worshippers.
- Catch an outdoor concert.
- Have a picnic.
Boulder turns every shade of gold, red and yellow in fall.
- Take a fall drive to admire the spectacular mountain foliage on the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway.
- Attend a fall festival.
- Enjoy the usually warm and mild weather for outdoor recreation.
It's rare that you'll find Boulder buried in snow, but even if you do, there's still plenty to keep you busy.
- Skiing is available at locals' favorite Eldora Mountain Resort, just 30 minutes away.
- You'll even see restaurant patios full in winter, as sunny days warm up the winter air and melt any snow in a day or two.
- Indoor activities include exploring the Boulder Beer Trail, sipping tea or visiting museums.
- See more ideas for indoor activities with kids.