Boulder Restaurants That Have Starred on TV
Dubbed “America’s Foodiest Town” by Bon Appétit magazine, Boulder has drawn a number of big-name food shows seeking the scoop on the town’s acclaimed dining scene. In fact, the granddaddy of them all, “Top Chef” even shot an episode here. Below you’ll find a guide to the restaurants that have had their (delicious) close-ups on national television.
“Diners, Drive-ins and Dives” Locations
Guy Fieri and his Food Network crew have been to Boulder a few times. Here’s where they ate.
Audrey Jane’s Pizza Garage
Audrey Jane’s Pizza Garage is what happens when a Colorado native heads to Italy and becomes obsessed with perfecting the art of pizza making. The fruits of her studies paid off, and her Boulder shop earned a visit from DDD in 2017. Here’s Audrey whipping up the shop’s famous meatball grinder sub for Guy:
Zoe Ma Ma
Run by Edwin Zoe in collaboration with his Chinese mother’s cooking, Zoe Ma Ma has been known for fresh, “non-Americanized” Chinese street food for some time. The whole world got a taste when episode “Mom’s Kitchen” aired in 2017, featuring the eatery’s pork-filled steamed buns and za jiang mian. Zoe Ma Ma was also in an episode of "Cheap Eats" (see below).
In the “Gettin’ Fresh” episode, Guy Fieri sunk his teeth into The Sink's famous Texas Onion Straw Burger and left his mark by spray-painting his logo on the wall (it’s okay, the entire interior is covered in drawings!). This restaurant on University Hill has had a few brushes with fame, from President Obama’s publicized visit in 2012 to a shout-out from Robert Redford, who used to work as a janitor at The Sink in the mid-50s.
“Cheap Eats” Locations
Featuring “buzz-worthy meals on a budget,” this Cooking Channel show is hosted by Ali Khan, who visited Boulder for one seriously delicious day — all for under $35. The whole experience had Ali proclaiming, "It's official. Boulder, you rock!" You can watch the whole episode here.
“Man v. Food” Locations
Casey Webb is known for conquering food challenges with gustatory gusto on the Travel Channel’s "Man v. Food." Keep reading to find out what he sets out to conquer in Boulder.
"Food Paradise" Locations
This Travel Channel show features dishes and delights across the country. Here's where they stopped in Boulder and what they tasted:
On the episode "Destination Delicious," Avery Brewing Company's Angry Clucker (a fried chicken sandwich on jalapeno bread) and bacon-wrapped meatloaf made mouths water! If you go, be sure to wash it all down with one of Avery's amazing craft beers brewed on site.
Other Boulder Brushes with Food Fame
- Boulder itself was featured on "Top Chef" Season 15, Episode 3. Get your own Top Chef-inspired itinerary.
- Frasca Food and Wine was featured on Food Network’s “Best Thing I Ever Ate,” during which Michael Chiarello raved about the James Beard award-winning restaurant’s fried pineapple wrapped speck.
- “Unique Sweets,” a Cooking Channel program dedicated to uncovering the nation’s best desserts, featured Pizzeria Locale’s biscotti and butterscotch budino and chocolate-hazelnut-filled pizza dough called saltimbocca. Also covered was gelato shop Fior di Latte’s horchata affogato and a gelato cake.
- Chefs Hosea Rosenberg (Top Chef Season 5 champion) and Lachlan MacKinnon-Patterson have appeared in Bravo’s “Top Chef,” and you can check out their restaurants in Boulder: Hosea’s Santo and Blackbelly and Lachlan’s Frasca Food and Wine and Pizzeria Locale.
- Tundra Restaurant Supply was the shooting location for the Restaurant Wars episode of "Top Chef." Come gawk at all the pretty, shiny pots and pans, pick up an affordable knife or peruse tongs in every color.
- Boulder chef Dakota Soifer took home top honors from Food Network's "Cutthroat Kitchen." Stop by his restaurant, Cafe Aion, for fragrant paella, roasted cauliflower or crispy potatoes.
- The executive chef of Flagstaff House, Chris Royster, was crowned one of Food Network’s “Chopped” champions in 2016.
Here's what Gail Simmons did on her day off from filming "Top Chef" in Boulder (joined by Frasca's master sommelier, Bobby Stuckey):
Ready to plan a trip to all the famous food spots in Boulder? Request a visitor guide and sign up for our newsletter to stay updated!