Hessie Trailhead Shuttle
Free Summer Weekend Hiker Shuttle
May 26-Oct. 8, 2023
Crystalline alpine lakes, dramatic peaks and epic hiking trails make the Indian Peaks Wilderness an iconic destination just 40 minutes west of Boulder, but its popularity presents some parking woes. Good news: there's a hiker shuttle to the rescue every summer, and it's been operating for a decade.
No passes, reservations or fares are required to use the free Hessie Shuttle service.
The Hessie Trailhead weekend shuttle takes you to several popular hiking trails in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, west of Nederland, Colorado. The Hessie Trailhead, located off Fourth of July Road, has trails to:
- Lost Lake
- Devil's Thumb
- King Lake
- Woodland Lake
- Diamond Lake trails
Bus From Boulder to the Shuttle for Free
To get from Boulder to the Hessie Trailhead without a car the entire way, take the RTD Bus Route NB/NB1/NB2 to Nederland from the RTD Downtown Boulder Station at 14th and Walnut. On days when the Hessie Shuttle is operating, the RTD route NB between Boulder and Nederland High School will be free to ride!
How the Shuttle Works
Arrive at the Nederland High School parking lot. Then hop aboard the Hessie Trailhead Shuttle for a short, 10-minute ride to the trailhead.
- Runs May 26-October 8, 2023
- Pickup locations:
- Saturday and Sunday: Nederland High School
- Fridays, before July 28: Nederland High School
- Fridays, beginning July 28: Nederland RTD Park-n-Ride
- Arrives approximately every 15 minutes
- Travel time is about 10 minutes
- Hours of operation:
- Fridays 6am-6pm
- Saturdays 6am-8pm (Starting Sept. 4: 6am-6pm)
- Sundays 6am-6pm
- Holidays (see website for holiday hours)
- Leashed dogs are welcome aboard
- Bikes are not allowed on the shuttle due to a lack of bike racks
The Hessie Shuttle is ADA-accessible. The parking lot at Nederland High School and the Nederland RTD Park-n-Ride have accessible parking. At the Hessie Trailhead, there is one ADA parking space, however, no trails leading from the trailhead are wheelchair-accessible.