Daniel Asher of River and Woods
River and Woods is chef/partner Daniel Asher’s newest passion project. Daniel’s obsession with local agriculture, sustainable sourcing and food justice has been his focus for over two decades, and he is known for his work in helping define true farm-to-table cuisine in Denver at Root Down, Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox and Vital Root. His recipes and philosophies have been featured in national publications, and he has been a promotional rep for major food companies.
Chef Daniel is a certified Raw Foods Chef from the Living Light Culinary Institute in California, a US Chef Ambassador for Albert Bartlett, cochair for the Chefs Collaborative Colorado Chapter, a board member of EatDenver, and the recipient of the 2015 Philanthropist Award from the Colorado Restaurant Association.
River and Woods is the culmination of his experience and passions, an expression of the joy and inspiration that comes from gathering at the table to share real, thoughtfully prepared food.
My Perfect Day in Boulder
- Wake up, stretch and acknowledge the powerful, majestic beauty of the mountains.
- Grab the most amazing breakfast burrito du jour at Blackbelly Market, and say “hi” to Nate and the crew, one of the best culinary teams in the region.
- Swing over to the Boulder Farmers Market to grab lamb from Mary at Triple M Bar Ranch and asparagus from Kiowa Valley.
- For lunch, order a healthy, vibrant bite at Thrive; a great sandwich and mango lassi at Organic Sandwich Co; a delicious nibble at Cured; or my latest find, Woodgrain Bagels.
- Stop over at McGuckin Hardware for anything that’s needed at the restaurant to keep equipment in top shape.
- If I get an hour to rendezvous with my family, playing at Barker Park with my son is a blast.
- Stopping by Peppercorn is always great to see their impressive knife selection or at Tundra (a great commercial kitchen store that’s open to the public!).
- Then opt for a great glass of cider or excellent cocktail at Arcana (now known as Supermoon), and maybe a late-night nibble at Bramble and Hare or a to-go quesadilla with poblano pesto and guacamole at Illegal Pete’s.